Wednesday, June 24, 2009

IRI


Sometimes I feel like the whole world is falling apart.

I know, over-dramatic.

But seriously. I don't notice the chaos until I look at all the little fragments that are breaking apart and falling away far from my grasp.

I grew up in a little country that's been on the news quite a lot in the past few weeks. A country under the rule of an oppressive Islamic Republic that came to power after the people kicked out a somewhat stupid King.

Yesterday, while on the bus, a friend asked me why many Iranian Canadians are so intensely affected by what's happening in Iran... do they still feel so attached to the country they left behind?

I didn't really know how to explain the attachment to her. I haven't been back to that country in 7 years, but watching the things going down in Iran makes me angry and emotional. It might be because all of my family minus the parents and sibling live in Tehran... the centre of the insanity. It might be because I was always against the current system and now seeing it fight to stay in power in the most illogical manner makes my blood boil.

I think my breaking point was when I innocently watched a video posted by a friend. A video of a girl lying on the street dying, while her dad knelt down beside her, trying to comfort her, trying to tell her not to be afraid.

I think my rage and sadness is much like the rage and sadness felt by the Iranian people themselves. It is an accumulation of resentment after years of hardship inflicted on a people by a government that dictates under the name of democracy.

It's obvious that the region is in for a change. What kind of change, I don't know, and that's the part that worries me the most.

1 comments:

Me said...

The Iranian government should've consulted the Chinese before embarking on a George W. Bush style take over.